Friday, September 26, 2014

DIY headband from fake dollar store flowers


I am so excited for my sister to get married soon! We are counting down the days till we get to go. And I need to make sure that we all have shoes, tights, and dresses ready to go for everyone. And sweaters because it's colder in Utah. So I made matching headbands for my two girls and my new niece who hopefully comes soon!!
I've always wondered how to make a good knockoff of those big fancy flower headbands without looking too cheap and this is what I came up with. I love em and the price is less than a dollar! 
My sisters colors are maroon and cream so I picked up some dark red/maroon flowers from the dollar store. One stem of roses and one stem of these other flowers on the left. I have no idea the name, maybe like a hydrangea? 
Then disassemble the flowers into single petals. The roses have the left three petals and the one on the right is the other flower. 
For each headband I used two of each type of petal, so eight total layers. Using my hot glue gun, I glued each layer on staggered and in order from biggest to smallest and then glued three pearls in the middle.
I attached them to a piece of knit elastic using two circles of felt to keep it in place and laying flat on the girls heads. This is the chart I use for head measurements. 

I'll have to post a picture at the wedding so you can see the whole ensemble but for now just the tutorial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment